Marty Ross MD discusses the treatment of Lyme and mold biotoxins with fractionated pectin powder or cholestyramine. The recording is a Lyme Byte from our webinar Conversations with Marty Ross MD recorded May 21, 2013.
Based on the work of Ritchie Shoemaker, MD about 25% of individuals have a genetic predisposition which does not allow the removal of Lyme and/or mold biotoxins. In these individuals toxins are incorrectly processed and then passed into the intestines where they are reabsorbed into the bloodstream. Fractionated pectin from fruit, a soluble fiber, binds biotoxins in the intestine so that they are passed out of the body in the stool and not reabsorbed. You can also use cholestyramine, a presription medicine, to treat this condition. To see if you could have this problem, do a visual contrast study (VCS). You can do this online at www.survivingmold.com. If you fail the VCS, there is a high probability you have biotoxin illness. There is also a genetic test called HLA. However it is expensive and often considered experimental by health insurance companies.
- Sign up for the next Conversations with Marty Ross MD.
- Read a text summary about Lyme and mold toxins below the video.
Treatment of Lyme and Mold Toxins.
To see if you have this problem do either the VCS test mentioned above or have your physician order an HLA test. However, these tests are not perfect. Another option is to treat for this condition to see if you improve. The strongest treatment is to use the cholestyramine. It is best to use this to see if treatment will work. However, if you cannot get your physician to prescribe the medication, then try the soluble fiber. In addition, once you are doing better, you can use the soluble fiber to maintain the improvements. When doing this find the minimal daily dose (ie. 1-4 scoops a day) that works best.
Note: Removing toxins can cause a greater production of inflammatory cytokines that could make you feel worse at first. Read about cytokines and the steps you can take to lower them in Herxheimer Die-off Reaction: Inflammation Run Amok. Before and during the treatment use curcumin to lower the cytokines.
- Fractionated Pectin Powder 1 scoop 2 to 4 times a day.
- Curcumin 500mg 1 pill 3 times a day. Begin 1 week prior to starting either the fractionated pectin powder or cholestyramine and continue taking it during the first 1-2 months of treatment for the biotoxins.
- Cholestyramine. This is a prescription medicine. Take 1 scoop daily. Every 7 days increase by 1 scoop till you are taking 1 scoop 3 times a day. Do not take with medicines or supplements beginning 30 min before taking the cholestyramine through 2 hours after. You can eat anytime, but the ideal time is 30 minutes after taking the cholestyramine.
by Marty Ross MD