In chronic Lyme Disease Lithium Orotate 5mg
- improves thinking,
- protects the brain from toxins,
- elevates mood, and
- decreases anxiety and nervous system irritability.
In Alzheimer’s disease caused by chronic Lyme infection it also slows the progression of the illness.
Marty Ross MD on Lithium Orotate 5mg
Lithium Orotate 5mg is one of my favorite supplements. I recommend it regularly with good benefits to my patients. In chronic Lyme disease many people have impaired thinking, depression, anxiety, or irritability of the nervous system. The irritability of the nervous system occurs as a feeling of buzzing, jitteriness, or sensory sensitivities to sound, touch or visual stimuli. In addition to these symptoms, the brain is also hurt by toxins produced by the Lyme germ or from the toxic effects of some supplements or prescriptions. Lithium Orotate 5mg helps with all of these situations.
Marty Ross MD Discusses Lithium Orotate in Lyme Disease Treatment.
This is a recording from our Lyme Q&A webinar Conversations with Marty Ross MD.
Many people know that lithium helps those with Manic Depression. This is a psychiatric disorder. When using lithium for this condition, a person takes around 900mg a day. This is much higher than the dose that I recommend for people with chronic Lyme disease. Dosed at 900mg a day, lithium can have toxic effects on the function of the thyroid and cause diarrhea.
On the other hand, when using lithium to alleviate the effects of chronic Lyme disease I recommend Lithium Orotate 5mg 3 times a day for a total daily dose of only 15mg. At this dose it is both safe and effective. There are no toxicities to thyroid or intestinal functioning at this does either.
Method of Action:
Research shows that lithium has numerous methods of action.
- It improves thinking by increasing signaling between nerve cells. What this means is that the nerve cells in the brain talk to each other more effectively.
- It is also shown to improve dopamine and serotonin activity in the brain. These two neurotransmitter chemicals help to calm the nervous system and improve the mood.
- Lithium protects the brain against toxins. It does so by increasing natural detoxification enzymes in the brain like glutathione-s-transferase. Improved detoxification is important. In chronic Lyme Disease brain injury can occur due to the direct effect of toxins produced by the Lyme germ. In addition, many prescriptive medications used in Lyme Disease are also toxic to brain tissue.
- It decreases the development of plaques and neurofibrilary tangles in Alzheimer’s disease. In other words, the progression of Alzheimer’s slows when individuals take lithium.
by Marty Ross MD