In my experience recovering from bartonella, one of the Lyme disease co-infections, requires
- combination herbal or prescription antibiotics,
- steps to boost the immune system, and
- supplements to decrease inflammation caused by chemicals called cytokines.
Boost the Immune System and Decrease Inflammation
It is critical for bartonella recovery to take steps that boost the immune system. Do the first 11 steps in The Successful Treatment Recipe to do this. These steps
- correct sleep,
- decrease inflammation cytokines,
- help the immune system adapt to stress,
- correct hormone imbalances,
- provide essential micro-nutrients, and
- remove yeast overgrowth in the intestines if present.
Use Combination Herbal or Prescription Antibiotics to Treat Bartonella in a Lyme Disease Treatment
Bartonella can be difficult to treat when a person has a borrelia (lyme) infection. To prevent relapse it is best to use two antibiotic combinations. There are three tiers of treatments that I use. Tier One and Two include prescription antibiotics; Tier Three is an herbal antimicrobial combination. The most effective treatments are in Tier One followed by Tier Two. I tend to use Tier Three when a person cannot tolerate prescription antibiotics or when the prescriptions do not work. Tier One combinations appear to work 90% of the time and tier two about 80% of the time. Tier 3 seems to work 70% of the time or less.
Rifampin-based Treatments. In these treatments Rifampin is the main effective ingredient. I combine Rifampin 300mg 2 pills 1 time a day with one of the following:
- minocycline 100mg 1 pill 2 times a day,
- bactrim DS 1 pill 2 times a day or
- azithromycin (Zithromax) 500mg 1 pill time a day.
Doxycycline 100mg 1 or 2 2 times a day can be substituted for the minocycline, but rifampin decreases doxycycline levels in the blood. Clarithromycin (Biaxin) 500mg 1 pill 2 times a day can be substituted for azithromycin but rifampin also decreases clarithromycin blood levels.
Flouroquinolone-based Treatments. Flouroquinolones are a class of antibiotics that include a number of members like